Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Don't Count The Age, Count The Experiences

I can't believe I'm turning 25 in just a few more hours. This is going to be my last post as a 24-year old girl (yes, I still consider myself a girl, can you blame me?). Saying goodbye to my 24th year feels somewhat like reading the last book of Harry Potter. You don't want to let go but you have to. Because the only way you are going to grow and become a better person is if you move forward.

Funny how I'm talking like I'm some kind of a sage. I'm not. It's just that this year has been sort of an eye-opener. My life has been pretty sheltered. I've never really been the recipient of tragic life experiences(thank God!) and I've never really known real, honest-to-goodness hardships (except for a few nicks here and there). Part of me feels like I'm missing out something big in life. But a bigger part of me also knows that it's just the way you live it. Most of us have been so caught up chasing bigger dreams that we actually take the little things for granted.

Working at home has taught me to take pleasure in the less-than-stellar happenings in my life--good food, fast internet connection, idle conversations and more family time. I have even come to love the beauty of angry, destructive storms! And perhaps those are the very reasons why I have come to appreciate the eventful moments--homecomings, dates, get-togethers, what-have-you.

Don't get me wrong. This small town girl also have big dreams. I dream of a bigger house with a bigger closet. I dream of out-of-town trips and endless thrifting escapades. I dream of fine dining and sight-seeing. But I guess unlike other people, I don't really have the relentless drive to keep on pursuing them. I just take it one day at a time and see where it leads me. I make calculated steps and I always, always, always choose the easier road. This unhurried pace has actually opened my eyes to other remarkable ventures.

I remember what it was like about 8 years ago. One of my college blockmates told me I don't have the chops to be courted by guys. Because 1.) I look like a freakin' kid 2.) I talk like a kid 3.) I act like a kid.

I remember being so put out and annoyed by what that guy told me. I wasn't really interested in relationships back then so I thought the comment was a little uncalled for. But that's fine. At least I got to know what others thought about me.

Now that I'm turning 25, I still couldn't say goodbye to that child-like me. My 12-year old self has retained somewhere in the recesses of my soul. It's like Voldemort's horcrux in Harry (lol at the analogy). And frankly speaking, I don't really get what the hoopla about growing up and acting all ladylike and refined is all about. For one thing, it doesn't have entertainment value. And you are practically putting a leash to the real you.

I'm glad I didn't listen to him and started changing myself right then and there. Because growing up is a gradual process. It will always be. It doesn't just hit you full-force when you turn 18. You have to keep on learning and keep on experiencing to tame the child in you.

I miss that 18-year old giggly girl. But she'll always have a chance to resurface even after 25 more years. I like the idea of being 25, independent, head-strong and capable. But I also like the idea that I can be with kids and feel like I'm one of them. After all, it's the levity that keeps us all going.

So happy birthday to me. All I wish for is 50 more years of happiness, abundance, peace and harmony with the people that I love. If you are reading this, you are most likely one of them.

PS: If you love me and this blog, be a follower :) Just use your google account. Call it my birthday present.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tea and Dainty Copyright © 2010 Designed by Kathy